Microkernel Architecture of operating system
The basic ideology in this architecture is to keep the kernel as small as possible. We know that kernel is the core part of the operating system and hence it should be meant for handling the most important services only.
In microkernel architecture, only the most important services are put inside the kernel and rest of the OS service are present in the system application program. Now the user can easily interact with those not-so important services within the system applications and kernel i.e., microkernel is solely responsible for the three most important services of operating system namely:
Fig. Microkernel Architecture of Operating System
Microkernel and system applications can interact with each other by message passing as and when required.
This is extremely advantageous architecture since burden of kernel is reduced and less crucial services are accessible to the user and hence security is improved too. It is being highly adopted in the present-day systems.
Eclipse IDE is a good example of Microkernel Architecture.
Kernel is small and isolated and can hence function better
Expansion of the system is easier, it is simply added in the system application without disturbing the kernel.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Operating System Concepts ( Multi tasking, multi programming, multi-user, Multi-threading )
- Different Types of Operating Systems
- Batch Operating Systems
- Time sharing operating systems
- Distributed Operating Systems
- Network Operating System
- Real Time operating System
- Various Operating system services
- Process Concept
- Operating System Operations- Dual-Mode Operation, Timer
- Operations on Process
- Threads overview
- Multithreading Models
- Critical Section problems
- Semaphore In Operation System