Ranked 11th in India by NIRF, IIT Ropar is a thriving educational institution which provides enhanced and quality education to students all over India. IIT Ropar is a vast campus accommodating both academic cells and living facilities. IIT Ropar consists of a vast library, canteen, medical center, sports grounds and much more. IIT Ropar also has NKN which is National Knowledge Network, which digitally connects all the universities in India offering virtual classrooms. This network includes IITs, CSIR institutes, Space Research stations and so on. This would help students in gaining information about the latest technology. IIT Ropar has various departments such as:
Each department has dedicated faculty to improve the quality of education and sharpen a student’s skill set. IIT Ropar offers B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc/MS, Ph.D. courses as a part of their curriculum. The courses offered are:
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
These courses are semester wise and include both basic and complex subjects for better understanding of a topic. These courses give basic understanding and the importance of practical applications to students. A brief description of these courses is given below.
This course includes subjects like
- Strength of Materials: Deformation mapping and Deformation gradient, Euler Bernoulli beam theory, The concept of buckling, Generalized definition of strain for 3-D bodies, Moment-curvature relationship and so on subjects are included.
- Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics: This subject includes topics such as Piezometers; Stability of submerged bodies, Prandtl’s mixing length theory, Introduction to Navier- Stokes equations, etc.
- Structural Analysis: Energy Principles, Maxwell's and Betti's laws, Castigliano's methods, Influence line diagram, Müller-Breslau principle are included.
- Soil Mechanics: Index Properties and Soil Classifications, Permeability of Soil, Darcy’s law, Consolidation- Compaction characteristics are included.
M.Tech can be pursued in Civil Engineering in the following courses and electives can be chosen as per the nature of the course selected. Subjects such as Advanced Surface Hydrology, Water Quality Assessment, Groundwater Hydrology, etc. At the end of mid semester a report has to be submitted.
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering in major areas such as
- Floods, Water-logging
- Water resource and quality management
- Safe transportation and so on
Few B.Tech or Undergraduate Courses offered in Chemical Engineering are Transport Phenomenon, Fluid Mechanics, Process Control, Chemical Reaction Engineering, etc.
Few Post Graduate courses offered in Chemical Engineering are Advanced Fluid Mechanics, Numerical Method of Engineers, Chemical Reactor Analysis and Design, etc.
Ph.D. courses as per information can be pursued in the following courses as per the subject selection. Chemical Reaction Engineering, Catalysis; Mass transfer Operations, Nanofluids; etc.
Computer Science and Engineering:
Undergraduate Courses offered for Computer Science are Discrete Mathematics, Data Structures, Digital Logic Design, Operating Systems, Computer Networks, etc.
Core courses for Post Graduation include Computer Systems, Data Structure and Algorithms, Pg Software Lab, etc. whereas Electives are diverse like Real Time Systems, AI, Computer Graphics, Data Mining, Applied Cryptography, etc.
B.Tech courses included are Electromechanics, Digital Circuits, Signals and Systems, Analog Circuits, etc. and labs associated with the subjects provided. These courses include core subjects.
MS can be pursued in Electrical Engineering in the following courses such as Digital IC Design, Nanotechnology and Nano-composites, Power Transformers, Signal Processing and Applications and so on each containing a variety of subtopics.
Ph.D. courses offered are Optical Engineering, High Voltage Engineering, Advanced Analog IC Design, Computational Electromagnetics, etc.
Undergraduate Courses included in Mechanical Engineering are Energy Science and Technology, Manufacture with Metallic Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Manufacturing Lab, etc. Elective courses include Propulsion Technologies, Electric Power Generation, Biomechanics, Engineering Mechanics etc.
Post Graduation courses include Industrial Robotics, Surface Engineering, Metal Corrosion, Advanced Tribology, etc.
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering:
Undergraduate or B.Tech courses include Metallurgical Thermodynamics and Kinetics, Physical Metallurgy Lab, Phase Transformations and Heat Treatment, Transport Phenomena, etc.
Ph.D. courses in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering include only two advanced courses Advanced Materials Characterization Techniques and Phase Transformations.
The Departments such as Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics also provide undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Undergraduate courses in Chemistry include Structure, Reactivity and Dynamics, Synthesis and Catalysis, Measuring Molecules, Biomaterials, etc.
- Master’s program comprises of four semesters and contains core subjects for the first three semesters such as Concise Inorganic Chemistry, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Solid State Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, etc. The fourth semester has core and electives; core includes a seminar and project whereas electives include Advances in Catalysis, Molecular Recognition, Inorganic Material Chemistry, etc.
- Ph.D. courses can be pursued in Concept of Organic Chemistry, Electronic Structure Calculations, etc.
- Undergraduate courses include Quantum Physics, Electromagnetics, Engineering Photonics, Optics and Lasers, etc.
- PG courses include Electromagnetic Theory, Atomic and Molecular Physics, Modern Optics, etc. whereas electives include Semiconductor Physics, Laser Physics, Particle and Radiation Detectors, etc.
- Direct PhD includes Numerical Methods, Physics of Electromagnetic Waves, Quantum and Statistical Physics, etc.
- B.Tech core courses include Single Variable Calculus, Probability, Calculus, etc.
- Elective courses include Vector Field Theory, Modern Algebra, etc.
- M.Sc courses include Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, Topology, Functional Analysis, Optimization Techniques, etc.
- Ph.D. courses include Water Waver Theory, Fields and Galois Theory, Group Theory, Operator Theory, etc.
Courses in Humanities are Ph.D. that is based on the subjects Applied Econometric, Technical Communication, Canadian Literature, Computational Phonology, etc.
Center for Biomedical Engineering:
- Provides B.Tech courses consisting of core courses such as Introduction to Biomedical Engineering and An Introduction to Human Physiology. Contains electives such as Biomaterials, Biomechanics, Medical Devices and Equipment.
- M.Tech courses include Biomedical Electronics and Communications, Physics of Medical Imaging Core and electives.
- Ph.D. courses include Fundamentals of Human Physiology, Introduction to Advanced Biology, Cancer Biology- Advances in Diagnostics and Therapeutics, etc.
The fee structure for General category is INR 1, 00,000 which is the tuition fee and INR 13,650 is the miscellaneous fee. For SC, ST, PH and students who come from a family having income less than Rs. I lakh per annum, the fee is INR 13,650 per annum. For students having income less than Rs.5 lakhs per annum have fee of INR 46,984.
Ph.D. fee for students is INR 1, 42,000 per annum. This fee is common for Ph.D. students even if they are Regular, Direct, ERP, and Part Time.